Whether your website already exists or you are in the progress of designing one, understanding how people use their handheld devices and computers will help demonstrate why responsive web design is a must. Responsive website design allows your site the fluidity it requires to respond to the browser from which it is being viewed. This means whether someone is viewing your site from a PC, tablet or smart phone, they will be seeing it in perfect alignment and can even navigate through accommodations for a finger or a mouse. Here are some quick facts:
- Believe it or not it is estimated that by the end of 2013 there will be more handheld devices than people on earth.
- 80 percent of smart phone users would like to have access to mobile optimized product information while they are shopping in a bricks and mortar store.
- 27 percent of a mobile user’s time is spent on retailer Apps, which means they are interested.
- 4 out of 5 consumers use their Smart Phones to shop.
Combine those quick facts with these interesting points:
- 65 percent of consumers do their online research on a PC and then shop in store.
- 1 out of every 5 consumers is “showrooming”, which means they are window shopping in store but going home and making a purchase on their PC.
And finally consider these rising numbers:
- 57 percent of consumers will not tell a friend about your business if your web site is poorly designed for their mobile device.
- In fact 40 percent of those consumers will go to a competitor’s site if yours isn’t cutting’ it.
Smart phones and mobile usage are leading the way, yet over half of the consumers are still using their PCs to research and purchase online. Not only will you lose mobile customers to your competitor’s web site with an unresponsive design, you could use your PC customers too. Responsive web design Australia businesses are using will help you please them both.